Between 2001-2008 there were a reported 11 child deaths in Australia due to strangulation on blind or curtain cords, with 9 of these being children under 3.
Unfortunately small children do not understand that a cord around their neck can easily tighten and cause strangulation within a matter of minutes.
As a top safety tip take a few minutes out of your day and do a double check of your blind or curtain cords and check that they are sufficiently safeguarded. Consider where the blind cord will hang when the blind is up, as this generally lengthens the dangling cord length.
Peace of mind for a few dollars
If you've got any overlong cords hanging when blinds are in use, make an investment of a couple of bucks and drill a cord tidy into your wall high above where small children can reach.