I recently thought it would be a good plan to share some parenting realities to show that parenting is not always exactly the way depicted in the glossy parenting magazines, and whilst it's a whole world of fun, some days won't turn out exactly as you expect it to.
Photo: Crimfants: Wikimedia Commons
The Day of the Cranky Child
Everyone gets their moods, kids included, but what I didn't know before I was a parent, is that some kids have certain irrational triggers that can turn a happy morning into one of total misery. Like the morning that you cut their toast into squares, when they wanted triangles. Before having a kid, I honestly would not have known that such a simple error (triangles vs squares) could cause such undoing, but here I stand corrected. Here are a few pitfalls I've seen from my own toddler, and some of my friends kids:
1. You give them rice bubbles, they wanted nutragrains.
2. They're having trouble getting a large chunk of their food into their mouths so you helpfully cut if for them. They wanted to cut it themselves.
3. They want you to put a sticker on their t shirt. You've put it in the wrong place, they them remove it. You ruined the stickiness of the sticker; how dare you.
4. It's someone else's birthday and they don't get to blow the candles out.
5. You ask them what they want in a restaurant, and order it. There food arrives and it's not what they wanted.
Irrational (and sometimes funny) tantrums aside, there are also the days when kids just seem more emotional than normal and it's on these days that it's particularly hard going to make sense of what's going on in their little minds. Once the meltdown starts, it can be difficult to talk them down from the tantrum mania. You can be guaranteed they've timed their meltdown to coincide with a shopping trip, or a meal out, and sometimes the only thing to do is take deep breaths, give some cuddles, and remember that tomorrow is a brand new day.