My eldest son is 3.5 years old, and not a day goes by when he doesn't keep us amused and entertained with the funny things he says and the honest and earnest expressions that he comes out with. I'd never given much thought to ensuring these special sentences are captured, until a friend mentioned that she had started keeping a bit of a memory journal of some of the funny or insightful things that her daughter says.
A picture paints a thousand words, but sometimes the words are the funniest bits
The more I thought about it, the more that this idea made sense. I regularly take photos of my kids to capture the different things we do together, but I'd just been relying on my memory to record all the wonderful and often zany statements that my son makes. At the very least, these snippets will make great speech material for his 18th birthday party or his wedding day.
I've kept it very simple, just a notebook and a pen and every now and then when something particularly funny or poignant pops out of my son's mouth, I'll remember to write it down of an evening. I'm literally just writing a short sentence, and writing the date next to it. It takes but a minute, yet I know these memories will last a lifetime and this book, I am sure, will bring my son a few giggles when he is older.
Here are a few of my favourite quotes:
- (At bedtime) My eyes won't close, Mummy. They.Just.Won't.Close.
- There's a dragon under my bed. He's a friendly dragon, but he won't let me sleep.
- My tummy has told me that it's hungry.
- (In bed) I can move over if you like, and then everyone can sleep in my bed. I can be really small then we'll all fit in.
- My son said this to a random guy on the train: "Hello, you must be the Fat Controller. Where is Thomas?"
- I love you Mummy. I've decided to keep you.
- My baby brother just told me that I can have his biscuit. He wants me to have it. He whispered this to me.
- (In bed, he puts his head on top of mine) Mummy, you're my pillow. Plump, plump, plump (with actions).
What are some of the gems that your kids have come out with?