The television has extraordinary abilities to affect the way and audience is thinking. Moreover, innocent children can easily get hypnotized by what they are seeing on TV. However, don't always blame the TV, a negative or positive influence on the TV is actually dependent on the parent monitoring the children.
Here are some tips on how to avoid the negative influence from the TV:
1. Find out about the program and its content. Parents are on duty to filter the channel so choose a program that combines fun and educational themes, suitable with the childs age. For example: choose a channel for learning and playing, with smart and friendly characters that will help children interact with each other. Far from the violence element, sexuality and inappropriate language.
2. Set the schedule and the duration. As an example, you could try after breakfast or after kids have their afternoon bath. Usually children at age 1- 4 will only stay 10-15 minutes in front of the TV screen so a total 1 hour for watching TV is enough. The reason for timing the duration is to make children understand more about discipline and time and the concepts of limits.
3. Discuss with your children what is really going on in†the movie or show that they are watching. An example of this is, when there is a scene of fighting, you should be able to guide them to understand if that fighting is not going to solve problems. Try to give an explanation between the fact and the fiction. Children under five will otherwise find difficulty in deciphering what they see on screen. When kids see the figure of an animal that can talk like human, adults might consider this normal TV viewing, but some smaller children could be confused and this confusion could lead to nightmares. It can be a good idea to explain the smaller concepts such as why the movie animal can talk and why his superhero figure can fly.
4. You could give children a toy that is the same or similar as children's favourite figure or theme to help them develop their motor skills (through movement) whilst they watch their show.
5. Make sure that kids are in the right position while they watching the TV and that the TV room should have enough light and not be too dark to avoid the childrens vision from being damage.