When you're pregnant, there can be a lot of speculation about whether you're having a boy or a girl, with many friends and family suggesting you're having a boy because of the way you carry, or a girl because of your level of morning sickness. Here are a few old wives' tales that many people swear by to reveal the sex of their child.
Boy or Girl?
1. Morning Sickness Many people claim that if you are sick to your stomach or have extended morning sickness, out past your first trimester, that it is a girl. Little or no morning sickness could mean a boy.
2. The Baby's Heart Rate When you next go for your check up, ask what your baby's heart rate is. Many suggest, that heart rates above 140 beats per minute indicates a girl, and below 140 beats per minute indicates a boy.
3. Ring on a String There's no hint of science behind this one, but it's a popular one for those who are superstitious. Grab your wedding ring and put it onto a length of thread. Hang the thread with the ring over your pregnant tummy, and see what it does. If your ring swings in a circle, then it's a boy, and if it goes back and forth, it's a girl.
4. How High is Your Baby? Rumour has it that if you are carrying your baby high up then it's a girl. If you are carrying your baby low down then it must be a boy.
5. Shape of your Belly You're going to get lots of people looking at your belly whilst you are pregnant, with some people offering you their opinion of your baby's gender based on the shape of your growing tummy. If you've got a neat little round ball of a bump, then people will tell you that you have a boy. If you've got a belly that's growing outwards with a mind of it's own, you'll have people telling you it's a girl.
6 Sugar vs Salty What have you been craving whilst pregnant? If you've been hankering after salted crips and savoury treats, you could be having a boy. Girls are all sweetness and light and your sugary cravings could be a hint that you've got a little princess on the way. So folklore would have you believe.
7. Consult the Chinese Gender Chart The Chinese gender chart was apparently buried for over 700 years, but has come to light in recent years as a tool for determining the gender of unborn children. All you need to know is your age at the time of conception, and the month of conception and then you can find out the gender of your child. No blood tests or scans required, allegedly.
8. What's Colour is Your Wee? Apparently the darker, more yellow your wee, the more certain you are to be carrying a boy. White or cloudy wee, equals a little girl. Or perhaps might instead signal that you need to drink more.
9. How's Your Skin? Folk will tell you that if you've got the pregnancy glow and are free from spots that you are carrying a boy. If you've been plagued with spots reminscent of your teenage years, then you could be carrying a little girl.
10. The Home Made Bicab of Soda Test Grab a disposable cup (you'll not want to use your best china for this) and add to the bottom about a tsp of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). Add a little bit of your pee into the bottom of the cup. If it fizzles like a can of soda, then you are having a boy. If not, it's a girl.
I wouldn't go choosing your nursery colours based on these rumoured gender predicators, but they are fun to discuss at baby showers or if you've chosen to not find out the sex of your baby.
I had two little boys who defied almost all of these folklore suggestions, have any of these worked for you?